Friday, May 8, 2009

Venting and Such

Have you ever heard of the "momma bear instinct?" Maybe my mom made up the terminology. But the instinct itself really exists.

Have you ever seen a momma bear when someone messes with her cub?

Let me explain. On Wednesday, we went to AC Moore to get cake decorating supplies. And as we were wandering through the store, Savannah wanted me to hold her. And I told her she would have to wait a minute, and she started to fuss quietly. No screaming or anything, just a very small amount of fussing. And this older lady walking by looked and me... and I kid you not... she said...

"Oh look. You've created a monster."

Now, I'm not sure where she is from. But us Southern girls know better than to say something like that out loud... to the mother of a child, who isn't even really misbehaving. If the child was throwing an all-out tantrum, we might think that thought in our heads. Maybe. But say it out loud to the mother? No way, jose.

Are you kidding me? I mean really, is that okay? I think not. She owes me and my little monster an apology, thank you very much.

I felt the momma bear rising up in me for the first time. And I have a feeling it won't be the last time.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Wow! That would have made me so mad! It's funny because I think about Madeline's behavior while we are out based on whether or not Savannah would tell her, "no no" or not after you wrote about her saying something about the little girl at the store. :)

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous! I have def. felt the momma bear come out several times...and for much smaller offenses. Like when people see Anna waving and saying "HI HI HI" and they turn and look the other way. Barbarians! Sorry you had to deal with that...she must have been a yankee ;o)

Team B.