Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent.

So, lent started this week, and I've actually never participated. But this year I thought... well, maybe. Now, if you aren't familiar with Lent, it is a Christian (mostly catholic) tradition where one gives up something from Ash Wednesday until Easter (40 days). Some people think it gets them in favor with God, and I don't really agree on that part (because we are saved by faith, not works...) but I do think its good sometimes to give up something and concentrate on things with eternal value instead.

So, I started considering what I could give up. And I discovered that I'm incredibly selfish and have the willpower of... something that has no willpower. But I finally decided on Facebook. And I know, that makes me sound even more shallow, but let me explain.

Facebook and I have a love-hate relationship. And since giving it up, I've decided it was more an addiction than a relationship. It didn't really become an addiction until I got Facebook on my phone... and voila! the ability to know at any time what everyone is up to! Do you know how wonderful this is to a social person such as myself? It made me feel so connected to everyone and actually helped alleviate a lot of my loneliness (working at home can be incredibly lonely sometimes). So, I got on it a lot. And it didn't even seem like that much because it would always been at down times. You know, while waiting in the car pool line at Savannah's school, while giving Brooklyn a bottle, while sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office... etc. But it filled my life up with a lot of busy-ness. But I did feel all encouraged that people were praying for me and missing me and wanting to plan stuff with me... because they would contact me on Facebook.

Facebook and I also have a hate relationship though. Sometimes people on there annoy me (like, seriously, do I really need to know the boring details of what you ate for lunch?), and sometimes I've gotten my feelings hurt (hey- I'm a girl, and we are shallow sometimes). And sometimes its made me jealous of other people and all of their friends that love them and their awesome lives or their husbands that sent them flowers just because... are you catching my drift?

So, I started thinking maybe Facebook and I needed to part ways for a while. And then I thought... oh no... but then people will forget about me. And I won't know what is going on.

And then I was struck by another thought, "Do you really love me so little?"

If it was really that difficult to give up something frivolous, what did that say about my priorities? I really don't care enough about my relationship with God to give up something as small as a social networking site? Really?!

So, I kicked Facebook to the curb. I deleted the app off of my Blackberry. Adios!

I might go back after Easter. But maybe not. I kind of feel liberated. And a little lonely. But mostly just free. And in my free time that I'm not on there reading what you are doing, I'm talking to Jesus a whole lot more.

Now somebody tell me this isn't a positive change. Wanna join me and give up something for 40 days? ;)

7 comments:

Drew & Kari said...

We are so similar its a little scary..but we've known that for years.if I have up something for lent it would be facebook as well for those same reasons...it screams out for me to be discontent...and I know what you mean about those random flower receivers...thanks for the encouragement to have priority checks! Love ya

Anonymous said...

Powerful post!! I'm proud of you, and I don't even know you. Facebook is not a good thing.

Renee said...

I felt downright embarrassed to admit that sugar (hellooo...PEPSI!) was my big stronghold that I was "kicking to the curb" during this season, so I get how the FB feels shallow.

However, I'm thinking anything temporal that we don't want to let go of is probably something we should let go of, huh :)

I'll be praying for you, Sweetie. Oh - and btw - if you feel the need to touch base you can always text me!

Love you :)

JenHeath said...

Oh, Lauren, thank you. I have at times given up FB as well...and for those same reasons. I find that it causes me to constantly compare myself and my life to others. Why has everyone else lost their baby weight? Why do they seem like the perfect couple? Why do they always get to go on vacation? Honestly, I've recently let blogging become my new FB...I rarely update anymore on there...best of wishes to you. Let me know what you decide for the longterm. And by the way, I SO WISH we lived closer together...I seriously wish we had a closer (in person) friendship! You encourage me so very much!

jsolarek said...

much to james' happiness - i am giving up spending money. I keep coming up with all these things i need but do i really need them? im greedy so in the days ahead i am going to write down what i want and then after easter i will see how much i have "saved" and how i need to get a grip. text me when you get lonely cause i get lonely and oh so bored!

Mom said...

Well you know how I feel about FB. So I am proud of you. I don't feel so lonely anymore knowing I have one person in common who doesn't have FB (at least for 40 days). Glad you didn't decide on giving up dessert. I'm not sure how we would have dealt with that now. Love you!

the mcquiddys said...

Go Beans! Proud of you. :) And proud of your strength for believing that whether or not you get on FB, you are loved and thought about and prayed for. :) I took a FB hiatus three weeks ago Tuesday. I do feel liberated! I haven't gotten rid of my account because it is nice to know that I can look at a friend's pictures from across the country if I want to, but these weeks off have made me realize that I don't need it to feel connected. Picking up the phone, writing letters, all of those things are still just as nice too. Anyways, I'll be interested to see how things go! Love you!