Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let the Eating Begin!

Okay, you guys. The eating has begun. Have I mentioned how much I just love this holiday?!

We have a weird tradition in our family. Its downright quirky. But I love it.

We have hot dogs at my grandma's house for Thanksgiving. Yes, thats right. Hot dogs.

I'll pause and let that sink in.

And I don't even think they are turkey dogs.

Whats that, you say? Why in tarnation would you do that? Well, because usually everyone else has another house to go to and have turkey. And lets just face it, there's only so much turkey a girl can eat in the span of a week.

And they aren't just normal hot dogs. They're called scrambled dogs. Here is what you do.
Grab a frying pan. Place your hot dog in the bun, in the center of the frying pan. Top with mustard, onions, chili with beans in it, and shredded cheddar cheese. And eat to your heart's content. Its best if followed up by pumpkin pie.

Savannah deviated from the norm. She doesn't like chili. But she did like eating out of a frying pan.



Darren, however, managed to put away some scrambled dogs. Minus the frying pan, since he let Savannah have his.



And whenever family is gathered, there is some sweet cousin time.








We can't wait to keep celebrating! [and eating!]
Now, to things I am thankful for, part two:

1. Crock pots. There is something wonderful about piling everything in a pot, and coming home 8 hours later to a melt-in-your-mouth meal.

2. Drive-thru pharmacies. Because we really don't take our snotty-nosed, ear-pulling, fussy babies out just for kicks.

3. Eyeliner. For all of the nights you were up with those sweet babies!

4. Starbucks happy hour. Thats right folks, right now the holiday drinks are buy-one-get-one-free from 2pm-5pm. Because who actually drinks coffee at that time of day? Oh, I do.

5. Best friends. I have a list of a few people that I could call or text at any time, and know they would have my back. If I was in trouble, they would drop everything and come running, no questions asked. In fact, a few of them have in years past. And when Brooklyn was in the hospital, I had about six trillion people offer to babysit Savannah. Obviously, they don't know what they are volunteering for, but the point is... I have some good friends.

6. Daisies. They beat roses any day.

7. Those people who see you pushing a stroller and open the door for you. Lets just face it, that whole try to open the door and hold it and push a stroller in while keeping one hand on your toddler is just plain awkward.

8. Black Friday shopping!!!!

9. Contacts. I look horrendous in glasses, but I'm blind without them. The perfect, vain solution? Contacts!

10. My brother. We may not chat it up on the phone every day, but he matters to me, a lot. And I know he feels the same way. Even if he calls me bossy, all of the time.

11. Coupons! Its so cool to check out and then see how much you saved. Even if you were that lady that had like 42 coupons to scan in.

12. Bank tellers that hand out suckers. Because it buys you a car ride in peace. Thank you, Bank of America!

13. A stepdad who drives to my house because a wasp is in my kitchen. Because I just really hate anything that stings me.

14. That person that says, "you look great!" when you go somewhere. It can sure boost a girl's mood.

15. Labels. I do not have time to manually address my Christmas cards when I could be doing other things. Like painting my fingernails.

16. Bear hugs from very petite little girls.

17. McDonalds sweet tea. Mmm.

18. Warranties. Do you know how many things I break? Now, if only you didn't have to keep up with the warranty papers.

19. Thanksgiving Day Parade. Love love love it!

20. The smell of the top of a baby's head as they are sleeping on your shoulder. Tell me there is something sweeter than that!

No comments: