Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Good News and the Bad News

So here is the scoop. We got some answers. We have some good news and some bad news.


Good news first? Okay. The good news is that nothing major is wrong. No cancer, no ulcers, no diseases, no malfunctioning organs, etc. Okay, so maybe even the bad news will sound good after ruling all of that out!



The bad news is that Savannah has a fructose/sucrose intolerance. Its not technically an allergy in that consuming fructose/sucrose won't cause hives or breathing difficulties, etc. But, its an intolerance in that her body is unable to process it properly. Basically, here is how they broke it down for me. Everybody has a certain level of tolerance in life. Some people tolerate everything, and some people tolerate nothing (oops, that last one is me!). Its the same way with stomachs. Savannah's stomach doesn't tolerate fructose. So when she gets a certain, very small level of it in her body, it basically freaks out and produces a ton of acid and then pushes everything out. Which means she goes to the bathroom 14 times in a day and its so acidic that it causes blistering diaper rash. This condition is sometimes called "Toddler Diarrhea" because its something that she WILL outgrow. As the stomach grows, so does the level of tolerance. He said Savannah's case was kind of severe in that she doesn't seem to tolerate much of it AT ALL, but it will get better.



So... what contains fructose/sucrose, you ask? Uhm. EVERYTHING. Pretty much. When I asked that question, they grinned at me. That is never a good sign.



No more cheerios (or any cereal), cookies, cake (I'm going to have to totally restructure our breakfast options - HA!), fruit juice, soda, icing, pancakes, syrup, koolaid, oatmeal, etc. Nothing that has artificial sweetener. Which actually rules out things I kinda thought were healthy. Like some yogurts and packaged fruits. ANYTHING SWEET.



You read that right.



What CAN she eat? Bananas, unsweetened applesauce, some crackers, pasta, potatoes, soy milk, whole grain bread, nuts, meats that aren't breaded or are breaded with things that don't contain fructose/sucrose, some veggies that aren't seasoned with sugar, water, and thats about it!



Whoa.



So... the good news is that we have a SOLUTION for the first time EVER. And its not all that hard. Read the label, don't eat it if it contains fructose. Man, I have a feeling I'll be cooking more and being healthier.



The bad news is that, in the words of a friend, "This is going to be a real PAIN in the BUTT!"



Couldn't have said it better myself!



Savannah also had blood drawn today to test for lactose intolerance (and why they didn't do that the last time they strapped her down for this is beyond me and it made me a bit...ahem... very cranky.) We should have those results back in about a week.



Thank you all for praying for us and supporting us through this long journey of doctor visits, testing, etc. The end is in sight!

6 comments:

Meg said...

Glad you finally found the answer and that nothing is seriously wrong with her! It will be a huge pain to deal with, but hey, your whole family will be healthier for it! Not that it makes you feel any better, I know :( Its totally overwhelming to think of all the things she can't eat right now. But you can do it!! Let me know if you find any great recipes without fructose and sucrose. I'll be keeping an eye out for ya. We love you guys!

Beth Simmons said...

I am so glad you were able to get to the bottom of this. I had a similar problem with Naomi as a baby. We had to start the Feingold diet when she was 12months. That eliminated all artificial colors, flavors and certain preservatives and fruits. I was told she would never grow out of her intolerance but she did. It IS hard to change your entire cooking and eating habits but it gets easier as you do it. I know you will do great and it will be encouraging when you see the positive results in Savannah's health. I have been worried about her and am so happy her condition is something that can be controlled.

Anonymous said...

What a praise! I'm so glad to hear this update and I know it will be an adjustment to your menu but thank the Lord you have answers and she outgrows this condition! We love you! Give Miss Savannah a fructose-free kiss from me :o)

Love ya,

Team B.

Drew & Kari said...

Wow, so glad things were figured out and that it won't be a lifetime problem! I will be praying for you as you figure out how to proceed and how you will handle having less sweets in the house. (I know you like your cake ;) )

Naomi said...

That is so great! It is so hard not knowing what is wrong. So, I am so glad that you finally have some answers. It does sound like it will be a little tricky changing your diets. But, I'm sure it will work out great!

Unknown said...

Yay!! Answers!! :) And although it'll be kind of tough to adjust to, you're a great Momma & will learn and adapt in no time!! :)