Saturday, May 24, 2008

My Mom Can Run a 5K...

Momma ran a 5K race today!



It was the AEP Festival Run in Downtown Roanoke. We had fabulous weather for the run and it was actually quite enjoyable (although you wouldn't have wanted to ask me that two miles in... haha!) Emily was my running partner. We decided six weeks ago to train for the race because we have both been wanting to run a race for a while now. There were some hardcore runners that were super fast, and I was kinda slow, but I was just relieved to be able to run the whole way and finish! :) I think slow running is better than having to stop and walk. :) Em could've gone faster, but she was super nice and ran with me the whole course.

Here are the runners taking off at the sound of the gun!


And the whole crowd running past...


There we go (near the double yellow line)!



Here we are when we were running up the hill to the finish line. Who puts a hill at the end of a race?!

Here we are crossing the finish line! Yay, we finished the race!!! Em's time was 37:57 and my time was 37:59. That wasn't terrible considering it was our first real race and we apparently can't read maps and had been running what we thought was the race course in training, but it was actually a half mile shorter than the course. We passed the part where we usually turn around and there were no signs of anyone turning around. We were like "uh-oh!" So we kept running about a half a mile further and there was the turnaround. :) So we ran farther than we've ever run before!

Two of my favorite girls :)

Momma's biggest fan. :)



I'm thinking I am glad its a long weekend, cause I need to recover from that! :) (My recovery plan = a big bowl of ice cream and a dvd of Grey's Anatomy!) But I am so glad I did it and I'm looking forward to training for another 5K sometime in the future. :) I might just become a runner now. Anyone wanna join me?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And I will say it again... I am sooo jealous of your running skills! Can y'all teach me how to run far without passing out? haha. Seriously though... I'd like to run with y'all sometime. :)