Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Special Night

Last night, I was completely blessed when I least expected it. Yesterday was a particularly trying day as I spent a good chunk of the day trying to get all of the loose ends tied up for Brooklyn's trip to Cincinnati. [When a fax mysteriously doesn't arrive, where does it go? I'd seriously like to find that place because its full of my faxes! My bet is that its somewhere at DMAS and somehow the employees can't locate it....] And I wasn't very successful so I was frustrated. And the closer our trip gets, the more nervous I get. And Brooklyn had a bad day seizure-wise. It was just a frustrating day in general.

We had been invited to a picnic for Special Families by our pediatrician, and I thought it would be a good thing for us to attend. I had no idea how much of a blessing it would turn out to be. I was nervous upon arrival to the park and felt so many conflicting emotions. On one hand, I was grateful to be part of something like this. On the other hand, I couldn't believe my life had taken such a turn that I was at a picnic for special families. It was a rollercoaster. Only women are so fortunate to feel so many conflicting emotions at once, ahem.

Once we entered the park, we were greeted by our pediatrician, who I'm already a huge fan of. She has made such a difference in Brooklyn's life... we wouldn't have started on the therapy and treatment nearly as soon as we did without her influence, and that would have probably cost Brooklyn a lot of progress. Anyway, all of the pediatricians and nurses from our doctors office were there, and that was pretty cool. There was a catered dinner, an elaborate cake, games,music and dancing, face-painting, and more. I got to hang out with several of the people who have spent hours working on Brooklyn's care, and got to meet other families who have had very similar experiences. Its not very often that your child can have a seizure at the dinner table and the couple you're eating with not bat an eye because at some point you actually get used to seeing those things...if one can ever get used to such a thing. Or when someone asked Brooklyn a question and she shook her head no, and then yes, because she didn't understand the question... and no one questioned me about why she responded that way... it was strangely comforting.

It was such a blessing to me. And one the way home, I heard the song Blessings on the radio and I couldn't agree more... sometimes the trials of this life are God's blessings in disguise. I'm so thankful that He chose me to walk this road...I've seen God's love in such a real way through Brooklyn and His careful provision... I've seen God's grace be sufficient in all things... I've seen the way He brings people together as only He could for His glory...it has been a wild, amazing ride. And I'm so humbled that He chose me to be a part of it.




I'm pretty sure Darren might be the biggest kid to ever ride this dinosaur.




This is my kind of cake! Strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla, with more icing and candy than you can imagine. Whoohoo!



There was bling-bling and fun activities for big sisters too.






This is our pediatrician, the best. doctor. ever. Obviously, Brooklyn is a fan too!




Will you pray for baby A? She is a sweet girl who has become a friend of ours, and she is receiving treatment at a large specialty hospital even as I write.




Savannah was so proud of her butterfly painted by the daughter of one of our favorite nurses.




Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this a success! It blessed our family!

2 comments:

Mom/Mimi said...

Way too cool! God is so awesome.

Carrie said...

I feel ya! Awesome how God gives us the encouragement we need right when we need it. Praying for you guys!