Saturday, August 13, 2011

Date Forty-Eight: Cascades

Date forty-eight was the hubby's turn to plan (I don't think he is quite on schedule for planning as many as required, but anyway...) so we headed to his favorite Mexican restaurant up the road in Blacksburg.



Then we kept on driving to the Cascades and began our hike.



The entire hike is about four miles and its not too challenging, which I can appreciate. I did, however, still complain about the exhaustion of my leg muscles. I'm just not a hiker.



Big D, on the other hand, needs to be on man vs. wild.




I like to think our differences compliment each other. I'm so un-coordinated that I make him look awesome. Right?!




There were lots of beautiful sights along the way... and two snakes... that we saw.




And then we rounded the final corner, and the view was breathtaking.




The Cascades is a 66-foot waterfall, and its gorgeous.




The coolness was refreshing.




The power of the rushing water left me in awe.




And I thoroughly enjoyed watching D attempt to walk across the slippery rocks. I was quite content to just view that portion of the day rather than participate.



After hanging out at the waterfall for a bit, we headed back down the mountain to pick up our kiddos.




Hiking the Cascades = highly recommended!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Mark and I hiked to the Cascades when we lived in Roanoke and it is still one of my all-time favorite dates! Beautiful view but not too much work for it :)