Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So good! So good! So good!

This past Sunday, we roadtripped it up north to see our Boston Red Sox play the Baltimore Orioles. Darren was slightly out of his comfort zone since he had never driven that far North before, but we had a fun time.



After getting off to a late start (my bad...I don't move fast in the morning) and stopping to grab a mocha frappe (650 calories, thank you very much) from McD's, we hit the road. There was a little bit of confusion when we stopped to get gas, however, as my husband realized he forgot to activate his permanent debit card and his temporary card expired. He did not, however, get the sympathy vote from the wife, since I have reminded him no less than 18 times in the past month to activate his card before his other one expired. Thank goodness he had a back-up credit card with him!

Nevertheless, we arrived quite early, paid a ridiculous parking fee, and entered the ballpark. Now, as you can imagine, they have security at Camden Yards to screen purses and bags. Since I have a small baby that I am nursing, I had to take my breastpump with me. It is normally very well disguised in a bag that looks like a purse. However, the security lady was quite confused. The conversation went like this:

Security lady: "What IS that?"
Me: "It is a breast pump."
Security lady: "A what?"
Me: "A breast pump. I have a three month old. I have to pump milk for her."
Security lady: "Where your baby is?"
Me: "At home with her grandmother. Thats why I have to pump."
Security lady: "Uhm okaaaay."

Awkward. Anyway, after finally entering the park, we had to stop for the typical tourist photo.



Then we headed down to the dugout to get some autographs. Gina even brought a red sharpie so that our favorite players could sign our hats. I was pretty pumped about meeting Jacoby Ellsbury until the security man informed us that the only day they don't have batting practice is Sunday. Rats. Maybe next time, Jacoby.



We ate awesome ballpark food, after which Emily had to have Aaron check her teeth before a photo could be snapped. He is going to get very good at that job.





Gina got the ballpark hot dog that she has been craving for months. Can I just say that Gina is amazing? She is really pregnant and endured the heat, walking, and hard chair without a complaint. And she isn't even really a Red Sox fan. She likes the Cubs. Boo!



It was 90 degrees. We were baking. And right about the time sweat started to roll down my back, the sky opened up and it poured the rain. Where were our umbrellas, you ask? In the car, of course! Oops.



It was a good game. The Red Sox scored two for an early lead, and then the Orioles came back to tie up the game.



We saw Kevin Youkalis...
(how anyone can hit a ball in that stance is beyond me)


Big Papi...


And the Orioles scored again. Uh-oh. It was rally cap time.



Boston came back and tied it up again, due to the hats, I'm sure. It was exciting. And then they went into extra innings. Varitek came in to the game and I was sure Boston had it in the bag...



But alas, in the 11th inning, Baltimore came back and broke their ten game losing streak. Thats right folks, the worst team in baseball beat one of the best, after losing their previous ten games. At the game we went to. Rats. And because we stayed for extra innings, we didn't have time to go eat at Cheesecake Factory. Rats again.

But... it was one of the most fun days I've ever had. Great friends, a good baseball game, lots of laughs (particularly at the very wasted guy seated in front of us), Jon's relationship trivia game on the way, Darren's... ahem... exciting driving...
The day was, as they would say in Boston...
...so good, so good, so good.

3 comments:

Meg said...

ha, ha, I love the breast pump story! At least it was a girl security guard and not a guy! :)

Building Walls said...

I was just going to say the pump story made me laugh out loud! :) And I LOVE the pictures. And you guys :) Glad you had a fun trip.

Nicole Gable said...

Thank you for the pump story. Going to opening day at camden yards tomorrow and wondered if they will let me in with the pump:)