Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Before and After

When we moved in our house, we had this eyesore of concrete in our backyard where there used to be some sort of shed. We debated about what to do with it, but we concentrated on redoing the inside of the house and saved this project until later. Well, later came this spring when we decided the ugly concrete had to go. Darren thought about tearing it out, but I was afraid his equipment would destroy the rest of the yard. Then, Darren's mom came up with the idea of making it into a flower box! Darren bricked the back of it to make it look nice (which he said he will NEVER do again!) and drilled holes in the bottom of the box for drainage. Then, we filled it with tons and tons of dirt, and then I planted the flowers. They have just recently started blooming really well, so I thought now was a good time to show the "after" part. In the front of the box are petunias. In the middle are azelas, but you can't see those very well from the picture. In the back, in the center, is a flowering jasmine climbing up a decorative pole, and on either side of that are some shasta daisies. I really love my flower box and think it looks way, way better than it did before! I'm very thankful for my creative family and all of Darren's hard work!



3 comments:

Meg said...

What a great idea! It looks so pretty!
Meagan

Anonymous said...

That looks soooo good!! ~Marlene

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I always knew you guys were our smart friends :o)

Team B.