Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Legacy

 Have you ever wondered what you'll leave behind?
When you are gone... what will be left of you?

Today I experienced the legacy of a man that I wish I had the chance to know.

Ryan Shelor is celebrating his 28th birthday in Heaven with our Savior.
And I can't wait to meet him and tell him about how I spent his 28th birthday.

I got a call the other day that the Ryan Shelor Fund had approved our application to provide Brooklyn with an Ipad to help with her therapy, education, and communication. 
And they wanted to meet us on October 2 to give it to her.
Because that was Ryan's birthday. 

I am so incredibly honored that Brooklyn was chosen to receive this gift.
And that Ryan had such a vision to want to leave a legacy.
His vision was that children with special needs not go without things that would improve their lives.

He touched our lives today.  I've spent most of the afternoon crying over the preciousness of this gift.  And not even necessarily the physical gift, though it is incredibly nice.  But I've been so humbled by the gift of Ryan's heart that was passed on to us today.


Ryan was born as a preemie, just like Brookie.
He lived a life where his body and his brain didn't work very well together.
But he did not let the limitations of his physical body impair his life or quench his spirit.
At the age of 21, he went to be with the Lord.  But not before he gave the first award from the Ryan Shelor Fund.  Most kids his age would've been far more interested in trivial things at age 21. 
I'm so thankful for Ryan's vision and generosity.
Happy Birthday, Ryan Shelor!
I can't wait to meet you on the other side of eternity. 

www.RyanShelorFund.org

No comments: