Friday, October 26, 2012

Changing.


I used to dream that I would change the world.  
I wanted to be a lawyer.
The plan was to go to undergrad, then move to back to Alabama and get my law degree.
And then along came Savannah.


At first I was a little lost.
I remember thinking... this is it.  All I do is change diapers and do laundry and rock a baby.
Its funny now.
The highlights of my days aren't winning a case.
Somewhere along the way my dreams changed.
Now I get excited about soccer banquets, warm sunny afternoons in the yard, and baking cookies.


At the end of the day, you don't really remember the cases you've won.
You remember the times you laughed so hard your sides hurt.
You remember painting pumpkins and watching your children play together through an open window.
You remember wanting to put them up for adoption some days.
You remember being exhausted.
But you remember being happy.


Five years later,
instead of changing the world, I'm changing diapers.
Because I've changed.
Funny thing about it?
I wouldn't change a thing.



No comments: