Friday, June 24, 2011

Five-Minute Friday: Wonder

Gulp, I'm gonna try something new. My awesome writer friend Renee (who used to be my mom's friend but now I can call my friend too... weird how that works huh) has been doing what is called "five minute fridays" for a while now and I always enjoy reading her posts. So, in an effort to grant you something a little more... insightful... than pictures of darling babies with food on their faces... I present five-minute fridays. Only five minutes. No editing allowed.

The topic this week: Wonder

Ready? Go!

I feel as though I often get too busy to wonder. When you are rushing about to the gym and planning dinner while on the bike and talking on the phone while driving (but not texting while driving!) and just multitasking in general, it is difficult to find the time to appreciate the wonder of it all. When was the last time you noticed water droplets on flowers or the shape of the clouds or the beauty in the sunset? I sure don't do it often enough.

Perhaps the most striking sense wonder is through the eyes of a child. Have you ever noticed the sweet enthusiasm for bubbles floating through the air, or the facination with those dandelion fluffy things (what are those called?), or the instant celebrity status you are granted if you can snap your fingers? Sometimes we can learn such great lessons from our children... like the invitation to set it all aside, appreciate the beauty, and just... wonder.

Yesterday, as I was on my way to a baby shower, a song came on the radio by Steven Curtis Chapman, and the words struck me... this is the only moment we can do anything about, so breathe it in and breathe it out and listen to your heartbeat. Theres a wonder in the here and now...I don't want you to miss the miracle of the moment. Here's to hoping we all stop and rediscover the wonder today.

Time's up! Stop!

No comments: