Monday, February 7, 2011

There's Not Even a Good Title.

Okay, people. Its been a week, and I wasn't on vacation without internet, either. That's gotta be a record. So, are you ready for story time? I have to bore you with all of the details, because if I didn't, you simply wouldn't believe me.



Last week was crazy busy. Brooklyn had appointments on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Savannah got strep throat... and thus was sick for the first half of the week. I was tired, but we pressed on. Then came Wednesday, fateful day that it was. I woke up and my first thought was, oh my... I think I might puke. I cautiously sat up and got ready for the day, head pounding, queasy stomach protesting. I took Brooklyn in for her RSV injection, because it HAS to be done on a certain day, and so there was no rescheduling. At one point I stood up too fast and felt whoosy, but tried to tell myself I'd be fine. I got back home, put Brooklyn down for her nap, and then it began. The stomach plague of 2011.



Now, I have had a lot of sicknesses in my time, but I'm not sure anything compared to this. Pain, nausea, sitting on the toilet while holding a trashcan, you get the picture. After a quick SOS call to my mother to please, please come get my babies... because I can't move... I settled in the bathroom for the remainder of the afternoon. However, as the day went on, and I went on getting sick 10+ times per hour, I realized I might not live much longer. And I'm not even being dramatic this time. Darren was in a meeting, and I had to tell him to come home. I just hate that... but I couldn't even stand up anymore without seeing spots. He tells me that when he got home, I was laying in the bathroom floor moaning and giving him instructions on what to do when I died [Lord only knows what he would bury me in!]. I'm nothing if not a planner.



He took me to the doctor, where they ran my bloodwork and determined that I was dehydrated, and has the "worst case of stomach bug he'd ever seen." So, they have me two shots to stop the sickness, and then a bag of fluids. I was quite loopy, but felt soooo much better. I went home and wanted to go to bed.

However, when I got home, poor little Savannah and Brooklyn were throwing up. Brooklyn only got sick twice, thank goodness, but Savannah was up many, many times throughout the night screaming and getting sick. I felt so bad for her as I was laying in bed and she was screaming, but the one time I tried to get up and help out, I passed out in the bathroom floor, and my poor stepdad was left trying to comfort a toddler and revive the mommy too. Then, about 4am, Darren got it. We would not have survived without my mom and stepdad. Luckily, nobody had it as bad as I did (I blame it on an absent gallbladder?) and everyone recovered rather quickly, even if Savannah does still insist on sleeping with a bucket beside her bed.

I was unconscious for most of Thursday. Around midnight on Thursday (Friday?), Brooklyn got up and was having trouble breathing. She was very congested. I slept on the couch with her sitting up that night. I use the term "slept" rather loosely.

On Friday morning, I took her to the doctor (Gram-B drove since I still was not eating and was a little bit whoozy), and they gave her a breathing treatment for her wheezing, and sent her back home. It was a virus, we were told. We continued the breathing treatments at home throughout the day, but she continued to get worse. We ended up in the emergency room that evening with her getting steroids because her oxygen levels were low, her heart rate was high, and her temperature was 103! She breathed much easier after the second steroid, and got to go home.

I was sick with a cold all weekend, and today I went to the doctor and got antibiotics for a sinus infection. Brooklyn's doctor called her in an antibiotic this morning because she is STILL congested. So. We are all recovering!

1 week. 4 people. 7 sicknesses. 3 antibiotics, 2 shots, 1 bag of fluids, 2 steroids, and 1 nebulizer. I told you that you wouldn't believe me if I spared you the details.

*A special thanks to Mimi, Grandad, and Gram-B, without whom we would have perished.*

5 comments:

Meg said...

Wow. I am so sorry yawl had to go through that!

Building Walls said...

ooohmygoodness. Un.be.lievable. I'm so sorry, so glad you're on the mend... and so thankful for your sense of humor! :) I felt bad laughing.. but you sure do have a way with words!! :) Love you.

JenHeath said...

I am telling you...this Winter's stomach virus is the worst in YEARS! Because I work in a peds office, I NEVER get sick...but I did this year...BAD. Even our docs were vomiting/diarrhea this season. Crazy! I'm glad you are on the mend now, though. I'll bet the stomach virus worked even better than Jillian Michaels, right? :) Always a silver lining.

Naomi said...

That sounds like a horrible nightmare. I'm so sorry you guys have been on your death bed. I hope you are all feeling 100% soon and never have to experience that again.

Hearts Surrendered to our Awesome God said...

So sorry this happened, but I loved the post!