Saturday, May 12, 2012

The End of a Chapter.


 Back when I decided to start grad school, it wasn't much of a decision. 
I mentioned to my mom that I always wanted to get my Master's.
She asked, "Well, why don't you?"
I replied that I'd have to hurry up and take my GRE to apply.  
She told me to hurry then.
I got a decent score, got accepted, and went to grad school.


And being the nerd that I am, I loved it.


I definitely had no idea what a wild ride the next two years would be.
But nonetheless, I pressed on.


 There were a few times that I wasn't sure I would finish.
In fact, I cried on a poor UVA med student who tried to calm me down about a hospitalization, explaining to him that I had a thesis to be working on and I needed someone to make my baby well so that I could finish school already.  Aaron, if you are reading this, I'm sorry about the meltdown, I hope you found a better attending to study under, and I finished!


On Friday, May 11, I walked across the stage at Virginia Tech and shook President Steger's hand and had my Master's Degree conferred.
 

It was a happy day.
 

It was nice to know that despite the challenges of being a mom, an employee, and a nurse/therapist/doctor/aide/etc... I got to do something for myself.  I got to accomplish something.


 And apparently my family spent the long ceremony taking bets on how long it would be before they were watching me get my PhD.  (Its at least a few years away.)


Now I am a Hokie Alumni for life. 
 

Which does have some benefits with regards to football tickets.
 

I know you all really want to see pictures of the First Lady, but I skipped out on that ceremony.
I'm not really a fan.
And the snipers on the tops of all of the buildings were a little intimidating.


The girls attended the ceremony.  I hope that they will have a vague memory of it one day, and that they realize that if Mommy could do it, they can too. 
Education is a powerful tool.


Brooklyn gave me a thumbs up.


And Savannah pointed out that she is graduating preschool this year too, and she needs at least as many presents as I got.  Duh. 

It is hard for me to believe that the last time I graduated college, I was about 5 months pregnant with that little stinker... and now she is entirely too grown up.


The Hokie Chapter is over.
But the Hokie Nation will live forever in my heart.

1 comment:

JenHeath said...

Three things:

1. You are a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
2. I'm not a fan either (of the first lady).
3. And ... that picture of you and the two girls ... MUST be framed! So good!

Congratulations girl!