Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coupons.

I have a confession to make. I have a new obsession with coupons. It all started when I went to a couponing class. I was amazed to find out that there are deals lurking around out there just waiting on smart consumers to discover them. And, I just love research and organization... so this was like a dream come true... do a little homework, get lots of stuff for free - yes, please!
Yesterday, for example, I went to CVS and left with the following items. Retail value was $22.55, and I spent $2.58. Total. Seriously, couponing is awesome.



How is it done? Here are a few guidelines:



1. Follow coupon blogs. Southernsavers.com is my personal favorite. They do most of the homework for you and tell you exactly what to buy and which coupons to use.



2. Buy the Sunday paper. It has tons of coupons that you will need for deals.



3. Get a CVS card, a Kroger card, and Food Lion card. Seriously, so worth it. And make sure they have your updated current address... they'll mail you coupons!



4. Combine offers. It seems like cheating sometimes, but it isn't (and they will let you know if it is!). For example, Special K was on sale for 3/3.33 each at CVS, making the total 9.99. Then, you got $4 extra care bucks with purchase of 3 Special-K items, making the total 5.99. Then, I had a coupon from Special K for 2.00 off a purchase of 3 boxes or more... bringing the total down to 3.99. Then, I used a CVS coupon for $3 off any purchase, making my total 0.99 for 3 boxes of cereal. Always combine sales + coupons + extra bucks.



5. Stock up on things when they are on sale, and don't when they aren't.



6. Have fun with your deals and steals!

4 comments:

The Blogging Pastor's Wife said...

Isn't it great!!! Yesterday I got $79.00 of stuff at CVS for $2.28. Plus I got $11.00 back. So exciting! I always have no less than $20 CVS bucks in my wallet to use weekly on only free stuff or stuff I get bucks back with. This way I don't have to make 3 different transactions like southernsavers says to do.
Happy couponing!!

Emily said...

Yay, good job Lauren!

James and Aisling Solarek said...

W O W!!!!!!! Was i in the same class?? i think you should shop once for you and then for me. ill give you my coke zero :) amazing!

Marlene said...

I'm pumped too! I went to the class last night, and it all makes sense now! The money we will be saving is almost like another stream of income! Cool deal! Literally!