Friday, December 3, 2010

How I Spend My Days...

Alternately titled, I don't know how mothers of special needs kids accomplish anything because I'm always on some medical-related phone call...

Alternately titled, my sweet Jesus blew my mind again today... thank you, thank you!



Sweet mercy, what a week we have had! Carilion and Brooklyn have had quite enough of each other, let me tell ya. As you know, Brooklyn goes to therapy every Monday. She is progressing quite well, by the way, and we are very encouraged to see her response. Of course, it helps that we have an awesome therapist. Thank you, sweet Jesus, for your blessings!

On Tuesday, for some odd reason, we had no doctor interaction. I felt kind of like a puppy who had just been let off its leash. No phone calls. No appointments. No medicine administered. No tests to run. Just silence. Well, except for the normal noise around here. "Mommy, I put the kitty in the snack drawer and shut it. That's okay, right?!"

On Wednesday, Miss B went to the doctor for her 9 month check up and vaccinations. She got the flu shot and the Hep B vaccine. She is growing very well (hello, 19-pound chunky!) and the doctor was pleased to see her progression from her last well visit three months ago (not to be confused with the other kabillion visits in between, mind you). She did, however, express her concerns for her lack of babbling and talking and pointing, and suggested that we pursue speech therapy soon. I kind of pushed it off until 12 months because I'm just not sure I can handle any more appointments right now. You know, with my full-time job, other child, husband, church, grad school, and... oh that's right, I don't have hobbies anymore... cross those off the list! ;) Any-hoo, she will also be referred to a neonatal ophthalmologist to have a look at her right eye, which sometimes pulls in too much, and could be causing some balancing issues. Other than that, she looked great.

On Thursday, we went to see her neurologist for a follow-up visit. He checked a number of things and wants to see her again in three months. At this point, the poor man has tried everything, but has no answers for us. Brooklyn has low muscle tone, a developmental delay, one-sided weakness, and some possible vision issues. But, her MRI was totally normal, so there is no structural cause. So, at this point, we just don't know why all of those things exist and will continue to treat her with therapy and hope that she will continue to progress and one day live a normal lifestyle.

Finally, it was Friday. Can I get a big whoo-hoo?! I got up and spent some time with the Lord, reading His word and praying. Now, I'm sure I am not the only one guilty of church-praying every now and then. You know, where you say please help with this and this and this and thank you for providing for us. And when you say that, you aren't actually dwelling on how awesome God is and the ways He has provided, but you know He is good and you should acknowledge that, so you throw it in there. So you can check it off yor list and then go do the other 300 things you have to do before 9am. Well, this is how I finished my quiet time, and then went on about my day. And boy, did the Lord have other things in mind for me. Around 9 am, my phone started ringing. Here we go again. The first call was from a nurse from a group called "Care Connection" and she was calling to get some of Brooklyn's medical information to see if she could hook us up with any financial aid anywhere. I wasn't kidding when I said I am literally always on the phone with these people. Anyway, after 28 minutes, much of which was accompanied by the background noise of "Mommmyyyyy! Are you done yet?", I finally finished up with her. A few minutes later, the pharmacy that dispenses the antibody shots called to get some funding information. After a phone call with them, the Care Connection called me back because she had been in touch with Medicaid and she thinks Brooklyn will qualify for a waiver...a waiver that if approved, would cover all of Brooklyn's medical expenses. After that, the doctor's office called to set up Brooklyn's shot appointment, and then a home health nurse called to set up Brooklyn's medicaid screening appointment. I won't bore you with all of the other boring details at the moment, but to summarize (I know, right? You didn't know this was the condensed, summarized version, did you?), God totally provided twice within an hour for my Brooklyn - first for a foundation approving her antibody shot for this month, and then for her to possibly qualify for a medicaid waiver because of her special needs. I was immediately reminded of that cursory prayer this morning... thank you for always providing for us. He does, my friends. He really does... in ways that blow my small human mind.


I'm so thankful for a mighty God who hears my rushed prayers, and gives them His full attention. Someone who cares for my sweet special-needs girl more than even I do, and always, always provides. I'm thankful for the reminder today that He also deserves my full attention, every day. Sweet mercy, what a week it has been.

1 comment:

the mcquiddys said...

This makes me so happy to read. :) We do serve a God who loves all of His children so very much. And to know that He desires to take care of all of our needs to the fullness is just too wonderful for words. I love your story today. Thanks. :) And I love that stinkin' cute family of yours to pieces!