Saturday, March 23, 2013

On Toddlers, Tiaras, and Honey Boo Boo.

 I get a lot of questions about the fact that Savannah does pageants.
"Is it like Toddlers and Tiaras?"
"Oh, she does those like Honey Boo Boo?"


Nope.  Not like any of those things.
Praise Jesus.
There are no dances.  No removal of clothing.  No spray tans for children.  
No fake teeth, no fake hair, and no crazy moms teaching routines.
We don't spend an obscene amount of money on gowns.
She won her first pageant in a dress from Ross.


 In our experience with the girls that do pageants, they are confident, beautiful, smart, and powerful.
They are composed and well-spoken under pressure.
They change the world.


They are creative and kind.
They make dreams come true for sick kids.
They raise money for great causes.


I admire them.


Savannah has known queens who support the Special Olympics.
Queens who visit her sick sister in the hospital.
Queens who shave their heads to support children with cancer.


 They go to college on scholarships.


 They pursue careers in politics, medicine, and social sciences.


And you know what I've noticed about confident girls?
They don't need to impress others or give in to peer pressure.
They don't need a boy.
They are comfortable in their skin.


They are less likely to be victimized or bullied.


They aren't insecure.


So, after knowing many pageant queens, I laugh when people ask me why I would let my daughter do a pageant.  Because to me, the answer is simple.
I don't mind if she turns into one of those girls.


There are certainly worse things to be than a pretty girl who can change the world.
Wee Miss Botetourt Sweetheart 2013
Miss America 2027?

No comments: